Monday, October 8, 2012

Movie Review: Gangs of Wasseypur(Part 1)

I like mostly movies like the pirates of the Caribbean or the movies of, say, Jim Carrey. In other words, I like absolute fantasies or absolute absurdities. Any other movie, not withstanding my feeling while watching it, leaves me unsatisfied and sometimes even frustrated. Especially, the so-called offbeat movies or the offbeat movies made for the multiplexes leave me rather confused. I struggle to find a way to appreciate them.

I recently watched the movie,"Gangs of Wasseypur (Part - I)". It looked as if all stereotypes were woven together.

1. The difference in self-respect and ambition between an upper caste and a lower caste
 The upper caste Pathan is shown to be a man with an overwhelming self-respect who is biding his time to move up the ladder. The lower caste Qureshis for all their nastiness are still stuck to their fate and behave obsequiously in front of their upper caste Hindu masters.

2. Chivalrous upper caste and rapist lower caste
The upper caste men are chivalrous with their women but lower castes rape. However, the actual scenario in a Bihari village could be rather different as this article says. However, the portrayal in the movie probably does justice to the stereotypical feeling.

3. Hindu woman
A sexually liberated and provocatively dressed Hindu woman becomes second wife of a chivalrous Muslim man.

4. Karma philosophy
There is no dialogue that has the wit of "I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse" but "You are right; he is a male" has the wisdom of over two thousands years.

5. Purity of Wife
If one expects that a moment of non-stereotypical has arrived, the director immediately recognizes audiences' child like emotional state and declares "nothing has happened" to the purity of the true wife.

6. Whimsical woman
Now I shouldn't be thinking that the director inserted scenes inspired from the Godfather without any purpose or that he had an illusion that copying classic scenes would naturally make his movie also a classic, so I had to interpret Durga's betrayal of her husband in a new light. That probably wasn't required if I stick to the stereotype of a woman. For want of a strong and compelling reason of that scene I could only say that the woman was cunning, whimsical etc...

No comments:

Post a Comment