Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Movie Review : some adult comedy

The other day, I was travelling by bus from Hyderabad to Mangaluru. To my utter surprise, they played an adult comedy movie during the journey. I wasn't sure whether they were allowed to show movie with 'A'(Adults only) certificate in public places. I would think it should be restricted because of its sexist and patriarchal nature (penis pride). But I don't think I've good examples to distinguish between a sex comedy and a sexist comedy.

Many of the scenes in the movie appeared to have lifted from similar sexist comedies from Hollywood.  But there were few differences between those Hollywood films and this Hindi film.

- No subtlety. This is really an embarrassing feature about  most of the Hindi movies. Those vulgar dialogues were cringe worthy.

- When there was supposedly a slapstick humour, we had to endure a running commentary of the proceedings (common feature I guess. On TV, a children's animated comedy, Oggy and the Cockroaches, comes with over the top dialogues in India instead of original visual comedy). That visual comedy was clearly lifted from a Hollywood movie but creativity was spent on increasing the absurdity levels and quantity.

- Repeated double entendre. It was quite exasperating to watch them trying to milk a word with double meaning, that too borrowed from English, so many times .

Am I repeating the common grouse or snobbishly expecting class in sex comedies?

No comments:

Post a Comment