Saturday, January 23, 2010

Devolution - v

Two more papers closely related the one I discussed before have appeared on Science Daily.

The first one is about self-control. According to the study it's contagious. If you think someone with great self-control then you can imbibe that quality. The opposite is also true. I'm not so sure, I suppose that requires you hold that somebody as a model. But that is not very easy to do. Probably, the second paper explains why.

According to this paper, there are people driven by fun and there are people driven by achievement. People driven by fun excel in non-competitive environment and fail in competitive setup. Opposite is true for people driven by achievement. That is a troubling finding. My understanding is that people are driven for fun (dopamine). Any disciplined behaviour is a cultivated one. The losers are the ones without a proper cultivated self-control and discipline.

The way I understood the study (so did Maju), people who love fun and people who love achievement belong to different worlds. 'fun' and 'achievement' are two independent and innate fundamental drives. It's not like all roads lead to dopamine.

Confusing times.

2 comments:

  1. The interesting thing is that enjoyers can achieve if they find the job fun or enjoyable, while achievers won't achieve if motivated only by fun.

    Reminds me of the Type A Personality theory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reminds me of the Type A Personality theory.

    That is hilarious. It's just a stereotyping.

    The interesting thing is that enjoyers can achieve if they find the job fun or enjoyable,

    I have heard that thing before as a universal truth. So, that at least makes me think everyone wants fun. But as far as I know that is not an option for majority.

    ReplyDelete