Saturday, December 1, 2012

Awkward Ending

[At a fish stall. I was waiting for the fish I ordered to be cleaned and cut]
[He] : Are you the one who ordered the Tuna fish?
[I] : Yes.
[He]: How do you cook it? When I bought it last time, I fried as I didn't know any other way of cooking. And the smell was horrible.
[I]: I don't have much idea but our maid knows how to cook it.
[He]: I must say, the smell was unbearable
[I]: When I bought it first time, I had to throw it [I missed to explain it was not because of smell but my roasted fish turned out to be a big flop].
[He]: Ha..Ha.. but doesn't it smell?
[I]: I don't think so. I suppose our maid knows the way to cook it.
[He]: Look at all these fishes. I mean they are so expensive and this is still available at a reasonable price. That's the reason I bought it last time and my goodness the smell was horrible.
[I]: [I gave a sheepish grin as that's the precise reason I bought it too. However, I never wanted it to come out as my deteriorating quality of life but as an experiment with some exotic fish]
I mean it doesn't smell as bad as, say, Sardine...
[He]: No...No...
[I]: Also, we cook it and don't fry it. I suppose fried fish always smell worse.
[He]: No, Not really. The smell of Sardine fry or any other fry is actually a good smell. This was actually a foul smell.
[I must say I do agree with smelling good fried fish and felt embarrassed that I might have been inadvertently influenced by those vegetarians]
[I]: My maid actually removes the skin and cooks. Did you remove the skin while frying?
[He]: No, we didn't. We infact fried with skin intact.
[I]: Not sure. But that could be one reason for that foul smell. Or maybe we should ask the Japanese..He..He..
[He]: Yes, that could be the reason. So, that's why you have asked the guy to remove the skin
[I]: Yes.
[Then couple of minutes of silence]
[He]: Okay, then. Thank you.
[I]: Ah..Ah... You're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment