Saturday, February 11, 2012

Middle Caste Fatalism

[He1] : It was an intercaste marriage.
[He2] : What is she?
[He1] : ...
[He2] : What is he?
[He1] : ...
[He2] : Okay. It's good. At least both from the upper castes.
[He1] : Why do you say that? What's so bad if any one of them was from a lower caste?
[He2] : I blurted out something. Not much thought has gone into it.
[He1] : You may not mean it. But those words came out of you naturally. Aren't they?
[He2] : True.
[He1] : ...
[He2] : I don't know how to explain it. It may be different here in the South. But in the North, the caste consciousness so deeply ingrained that you just hate certain castes. The claims of superiority of certain castes is so overwhelming that you don't want have anything with other castes. You want to preserve yourself.
.
.
.
[He2] : I know, rationally what I just said is wrong and meaningless. But I'm conditioned to speak in a certain way in public.
[He1] : What is your true self?
[He2] : I really don't know. I have expressed my rational self occasionally with my family at least but those words made hardly any sense to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment