Saturday, February 11, 2012

Heart Disease and Y-Haplogroup R2

A new study has observed that coronary artery disease (CAD) is passed from father to son or inherited through the Y-chromosome. The researchers also make a point that people with certain haplogroups are more prone to heart disease compared to others. Among British, men who have Y-chromosome belonging to haplogroup I carry 50% greater risk of heart disease compared to men who belong to haplogroup R1b1b2.

I have family history of heart diseases. My haplogroup is R2a. The greatest concentration of R2a clan is in Andhra Pradesh where one-third of males carry this Y-chromosome. Incidentally, Andhra Pradesh also has the dubious distinction of being the top state in India in terms of the number of heart patients. So, I make an educated guess that in India people who belong to Y-haplogroup R2a have a greater risk of heart disease compared to other lineages.

I suppose one-third of Sinhalese and one-fourth of Bangladeshis also belong to this haplogroup. I wonder whether their heart disease rates are comparable to Andhra Pradesh.

No comments:

Post a Comment